Covers for the Gemini 105M and more
|We are docked in Kentucky near a company that loads coal on barges. I don't have the space to discuss the problems I had trying to get a cover made to keep the boat clean. I finally decided that if I can build an airplane, I can surely learn to sew and make my own cover. With that in mind I bought a Sailrite Sewing machine and lots of yards of Sunbrella and made a cover. The picture above is the cover in process. The pictures below show the completed cover. If you are wondering, This probably shouldn't be your first project sewing. It came out fine but if I made another it would come out better. This really doesn't matter since within 3 months it will be covered in coal dust. In case you are wondering, it takes about 30 minutes to put on. In the past, it took me 3 hours to clean off the dust after a week of being gone. Fair exchange. Note: May 4, 03 I was away for a month since finishing the cover. After removing it, it only took me 30 minutes and the boat was spotless. So the bottom line is I gained 1 1/2 hours for each weekend. Again, fair exchange.||
I have one of the Honda 2000i generators that my friends affectionately call a Jim-a-rator. They say I'm a power hog but they do love it when the AC is running on an August evening of 100 degrees with no wind. Anyway, I decided that even though the noise was ok I could reduce it and also create a rain cover. The picture is a work in progress that I took while doing a final fitting. (I love that Sailrite Sewing Machine!) The cover has a foam interior enclosed in Sunbrella and it attaches with 1" webbing with snaps.
After finishing up the generator cover, I was going to take some DB readings to see how much noise it reduced. I couldn't find my DB meter and I will need to borrow one. What I did was, standing in the same place using the same CD on the same passage of the same song, I turned up the stereo until I could just hear the music. With the cover on, I could hear it when the volume read 9 with the cover off, I could hear it when the volume read 16. I have a Standard Stereo/CD player that they sell at West Marine. I couldn't find spec's on volume. Still, it was a reduction and you can tell the difference. I'm guessing it was between 3 and 6 DB which is ok. I'll probably play with it more this summer to see where the noise is coming from and if I can change the design to enhance the deadening characteristics.
|Since I had the sewing machine, I decided that I needed to build a dingy cover. I have a porta-boat and although it is not hard to put together, it still takes about 30 minutes for putting it together and another 30 minutes to take apart. When you are going down for a weekend, you look for ways to lengthen the enjoyment so I decided that if I could build a cover for the porta-boat, I could pick up an hour on the weekend. The picture to the left is the result of my first attempt. This project took me 4 hours not including time to order the materials. I'm still an amateur at sewing but it will keep the water out of the boat. Note: After 2 years, the cover works great and I haven't changed a thing. It is perfectly dry each time we go down.|
|There are too many times on Kentucky lake when we don't have enough wind to sail. The sail cover hung too low to allow for good visibility so after sizing it up, I modified the sail cover by replica watches taking it up with my sewing machine. I was amazed at the increased visibility that I had hoped for when I measured it up at the end of last season.|
Web Page by Jim Faughn